I am often invited to speak at a variety of national and international conferences, symposia, panels, and other venues on STEM education, learning technology, and other areas of expertise. A partial list of my invited talks organized by topic is below. I have included links to a video recording if available (in bold). If you are interested in inviting me to speak to your group or event, please contact me.
I was invited to testify to the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Science, Space and Technology’s Subcommittee on Research and Technology on January 9, 2014 at a hearing on STEM education initiatives developed in partnerships between the private sector and universities. Other panelists included Hadi Partovi, the founder of Code.org, and Dean Kamen, who started the FIRST robotics competitions. There is C-SPAN video coverage of the panel and news stories about my testimony (here, here, and here).
I was also invited to present on New STEM Education Initiatives to Governor Pat Ryan at Illinois Innovation Day on April 11, 2013. A story about my talk is here.
Future of Education
- “Transforming Learning for the 21st Century: Essential Shifts in Mindset and Practice,” Des Plaines Valley Region Education for Employment Annual Workshop, 10/23/15, Oak Brook, IL.
- “Technology and the Future of Learning,” Immersive Technology & Media Panel held at The Future of Learning Convening, Institute for the Future, 10/15/15, Chicago, IL.
- “Dialogues with Gensler: Proactive Lifelong Learning,” Panel Discussion, Chicago, IL, 3/26/15.
- “The Future of Technology in Education: Sustaining or Disruptive Innovation?” Kellogg Building Strong School Leaders Course, Northwestern University, 7/11/13.
- “Academic Achievement in a Global Society – A Panel Discussion with Northwestern University Experts on the Future of Education,” Evanston Township High School, January 23, 2013.
Broader Impacts and University Partnerships
- “Measuring and demonstrating the societal impact of science across systems and countries: Harmonization of definitions and indicators,” Impact of Science 2015 Conference, 6/5/15, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- “From economic to societal impact,” Panel discussion, Impact of Science 2015 Conference, 6/4/15, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- “The Case for University Partnerships to Support K-12 STEM Education and Outreach,” STEM CORE, University of Oregon, 5/19/14.
- “Models for K-12 STEM Partnership Programs,” STEM CORE, University of Oregon, 5/19/14.
- “Reimagining K-20 Partnerships Through Educational Technology,” Southeastern Regional Education Board (SREB) Educational Technology Collaborative Meeting, St. Petersburg, FL, 9/24/13.
- “The Case for University Partnerships to Support K-12 STEM Education and Outreach.” UC-Davis STEM Education and Outreach Summit, June 8, 2012.
- “University Partnerships to Support STEM Education and Outreach in Elementary and Secondary Schools.” Keynote Speech, Science & Creativity Annual Conference 2011, Seoul, Korea, November 30, 2011.
- “Technology and Learning,” Guest Lecturer, American Education, Alumnae of Northwestern, 5/14/15, Evanston, IL.
- “Using Technology to Transform STEM Education,” Lake County Articulation Meeting, Stevenson High School, Lincolnshire, IL, 2/20/15.
- “Remote Online Labs: A New Model for Teaching and Learning Scientific Practices,” North American Network of Online Labs (NANSLO) Webinar, 9/16/13.
- “The ‘T’ in STEM: Is Technology a tool, a content area, or both?” 100Kin10 Taste of STEM, Georgetown University, 7/15/13.
- “The iLab Network: NextGen STEM Learning,” 2013 CENIC Annual Conference, UCSD, 3/12/13.
- “Ed Tech: Providing Access to Quality STEM Education for All Students,” STEMconnector Ed Tech Town Hall: Education Technology: The Revolution in Digital & Distance Learning, November 28, 2012.
- “Remote Labs: A Vision for the 21st Century Science Lab”. Science & Creativity Annual Conference 2011, Seoul, Korea, December 1, 2011.
- “New Approaches to Broadening Participation in the Manufacturing Workforce,” International Manufacturing Technology Show (IMTS), Chicago, IL, 9/10/14.
- “Chicago: City of Learning.” Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s Chicago Investors Conference 2014, 8/8/14
- “Panel Discussion: K-12 STEM Education: Why These Concentrations Are Crucial,” 2014 STEM Conference, Cleveland, OH. 3/21/14.
- “STEM Education: How to make it meaningful, experiential, and embedded in the curriculum,” Concept Talks, Chicago, IL, 9/17/13.